Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tactics Manual Submissions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now down to needing only some Empire Specific articles. If you compare to the list above, progress is being made. My problem in finishing is two-fold (1) I am not able to play very much, about once a month. (2) I do not get to play the races listed below often enough to truly know how they work in FC.

I may simply write the best articles that I can, but if there is someone who can help, I will accept that help. I will accept rough articles if the ideas/tactics are good, we can always clean up the writing.

The tactics should be tried and effective in game conditions.

EMPIRE SPECIFIC TACTICS:
ROMULAN - Cloaking Tactics
ORION -
WYN - How they use the radiation zone would be a prime consideration, along with discussions abot specific ships. They don't really break much new ground.
ISC TACTICS - PPD, Rear launching F torps
VUDAR TACTICS - Ion Cannon, IPG

In General here is the structure I am looking for in an Empire Specific Article:

Intro - What are you going to talk about.
Special Equipment for that Empire - Cloaking Device etc.
Strengths and Weaknessses of their Ships
Specific Tactics - Klingon Sabre Dance
Tactics and Considerations against Historical enemies
Conclusion - Sum it all up.

Thats about it. You can post them here under this topic or send them to me directly (preferred) at :
commodoredoyle@gmail.com

Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the schedule for this will be, but the Starship Tactics Manual is complete!!!!

Lee, Thanks to your help, along with Terry O'Carroll and Nicole Rubins, the Orion Tactics article is complete and that was the last article that needed to completed to finish the Starship Tactics Manual. I am on vacation and was able to use the spare time to finish up. The four of us will share the by-line on this article.

The book is 124 pages and about 125,000 words. It includes 58 Articles covering all major and minor topics in the game. The general weapon systems (phasers, drones, Plasma), every Empire and their unique weapons and technology are described in detail. All the maneuvers (HETs, Evasive, etc), all the ships combat systems (Marines, shuttles, Damage control, Special sensors), and all forms of terrain (planets, asteroids, black holes, pulsars and nebulae) are included.

It includes a chapter on specialty tactics, such as Battleships and Frigate Tactics, Convoy tactics, Base Tactics, and Middle years. The final chapter (for those really serious players) is The Fleet Captain's Course. It includes articles on planning your battles, how to make your own luck, probabilities, How to make the First EFFECTIVE Attack and more. This is geared more toward the more experienced players.

I really think people will enjoy this, there is a lot of good information here, especially for beginner and intermediate players. I've tried to include every dirty trick and insight that I have into this game, and I've made sure to learn as much as I can from the best players that I have had the good fortune to play. Some articles have appeared in Captains Log, while many others have yet to be published, though even previously published articles have been updated.

ADB will have to prioritize it into their production schedule, but that is not my decision. I don't know how this project rates against the other projects. I guess it will come down to a business decision about what customers want most and how to schedule their workload, all decisions above my paygrade. If I learn anything that I am able to divulge, I will post it here, but hopefully it can be done sometime this year.

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! I look forward to its eventual publication.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Middle Years have a look-in, nice.

Do the Tholian and Seltorian entries discuss any of the dynamics of fighting Revolt-era scenarios in the home galaxy, or do they stick with both factions as they opeated in the Milky Way?

In any case, I look forward to the module's eventual publication. (And to see how the precedent it sets out might help explore future tactical options, such as in places like Omega and the simulators.)
mattruh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is awesome! I would buy it!
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support.

A note about what is not included. There are no Omega related items included in the manual. Also, and this might be a glaring omission, but there are no monster tactics articles. I simply have never played any monster scenarios so I'm not sure I'd be the right person. If someone sent me a good article, I would strongly support its inclusion.

While I don't know what space limitations we may have in the book, it's already pretty large at about 125k words.

Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds great for both new and veteran players. I would be happy to support it in whatever way I can. e23 would be my 1st choice.

Monty
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT last! The Federation Commander Tactics Manual has been released. I hope you enjoy it and the info improves your game play.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FCTM was actually released a month ago on 7 July.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: