Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black holes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Black holes Reply with quote

Has anyone run a scenario where web casters are used near a black hole? We did one on a whim, so we didn't really study all the implications, but it seems like a cool way to drag an enemy into the black hole.
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the rules in front of me from SFB, but I thought firing weapons across a blackhole was impossible. I might be wrong on that.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't draw LOS through a black hole hex; fire through hexes near the hole have a (4A4) modifier to accuracy.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interaction between black holes and webs are stated in (5G3h).

So, yes, if you can somehow get a web cast on the side of a ship (or ships) opposite to the black hole, the web could theoretically "sweep" the ship (or ships) into the black hole. In fact, even a relatively weak web could slow a ship down enough to doom it.

I imagine it would be incredibly difficult to set up, but if you do get it set up, it could be extremely nasty!

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ship casting the web and the ship struggling to get away from the black hole were on the same side of the black hole. There was no line of sight issue, and the web was cast at a range allowable by the rules. The tactic came up on a whim, and believe me it bogged the game down when we all opened up the rules Smile Shocked Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I was going to poo-poo the chances of it working. And it is still a pretty specific trick. But, if the enemy is close to the black hole like that, and you can get the web into place within 15 hexes, then it should last long enough to sweep the ship into more trouble. And if the ship is struggling within 10 hexes, and you set the web at 11, you can pretty much kill the ship.

Write that sucker up as a Command Note!

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

send the command note to

Rules@StarFleetGames.com
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, it's pretty much a 99.99% chance of getting published in CL#50
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well I don't get the whole command note thing. I think I tried it once but there are too many computers in the world that can't talk to each other.
If someone else wants to do it, that's fine with me.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please PM me your name and I will write it up and credit you. (Since your group are the ones who thought of it.)

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a first pass of the write-up:

If, for whatever reason, you happen to find yourself fighting in a ship that has a web caster while in the presence of a black hole, be on the lookout for the opportunity to use this nasty trick. If the opponent is too close to the black hole (ideally inside 10 hexes, but at least inside 12 or so), cast a long web on the opposite side of the ship as the black hole. Once it solidifies, it will be dragged into the black hole (6G3h) and will sweep up the enemy ship as it does so. The beauty of this is that, even with a low strength, it will still take too long for the enemy ship to punch through it before it all gets sucked into the black hole. If nothing else, it will occupy the enemy ship's attention for a few impulses, giving you a tactical advantage you can exploit. In a fleet situation, you could end up bagging more than one ship!
Granted there are some limitations to this. First, of course, you have to be fighting around a black hole, and have to have a ship with a web caster. Also, the enemy ship has to get close to the black hole, and no part of the web may be within 10 hexes of the black hole. Finally, you have to be on the correct side of the black hole, as you cannot fire a direct fire weapon through a black hole (6G3d). Despite these limitations, the look on the face of your opponent is probably worth pulling it off!

Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you guys are curious about this topic concerning SFC. There were many battles fought with Blackhole scenarios on the internet a few years back.

I know for a fact that SFC allowed firing across Blackhole hexes because a lot of people used the sidefiring Fed Photon CFS cruiser in just this kind of scenario. I even told people that it was not legal in SFB but most just ignored me.

There are no Tholian weapons in SFC so I never experienced the above example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: