Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Larger minis/models?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Larger minis/models? Reply with quote

Amarillo Design Bureau is considering making a larger version (6-12 inches) of its minis. We're seeking input about the following:

size/scale
material (metal, plastic, resin)

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still love my 12 include Federation NCL. Especially if it uses the 2500 model.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
semperatis
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the NCL Mike and hope that they include the OCL too.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes.

djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bear in mind that scaled-up to 12-inches, the Starline2500 CAD model's shield grid "weld lines" would be around 1/8-inch wide. More trench, than groove.
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1.5mm groove on a 1/3125-scale mini will become a 6mm ditch on one scaled up 4 times its original size. The model and the relative proportions of all its features will scale up as a unit.

The grooves could, of course, be made to stay at an appropriately small size while the rest of the model is scaled-up, but that means selective re-modeling of those features, not just a simple scale-up of the model as a whole.

Note how large the grooves in George's hair become:

The relationship of the grooves to each other, their proportional size relative to the head overall, etc., all remain the same, but those features are a lot more prominent when scaled beyond what they really are intended to be (little grooves).
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not being clear. I didn't mean that they should use that exact model, just that they should use that model as the basis for whatever they eventually use as the master/guide.

That's all.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree (I love what Mongoose did with the NCL), but if they have to start remodeling features like grooves to make the ship look good at a larger size, I think the business case becomes less attractive.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked people about scale and it came down to three choices....

1/2500 is a fairly common scale with a lot of market wanting new designs, but that makes the 3.6 inch Fed CA only 4.67 inches and frankly that hardly seems worth the bother.

1/1000 is a fairly common scale for model kits, which isn't what we're talking about, but that would make the Fed CA about 12 inches long. The problem is that it would have to be totally done over to hollow it out and turn it into multiple pieces and I have my doubts about whether resin would work well.

Some other scale in the six inch range would (in my opinion) make the best model, but it means creating a totally new market as nobody really makes (and therefore nobody really collects) in that scale.
Rags
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of manufacturers have released trek based kits in the 1/1400 scale, with both mass market injection molded kits and resin model existing in that scale. The Starship Modeler website has a list of trek ships by scale that gives an overview of what has already been produced in that scale (one note, the list hasn't been updated in several years). At that scale the Fed CA would be about 8 inchs.

I have no idea how popular the scale is, but it may be worth investigating.
Jack Bohn
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/1400 would be the way to go if you want a model with "heft."

A kit of the three TV ships was put out in 1/1600, and is still fairly cheap and plentiful (see http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Space-Ship-Model/dp/B000BYR3SC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_21), but I don't think it's been re-issued by the new company holding the molds, and it's more than 10% too small for 1/1400, so your release of these three ships in proper scale would have more traction.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, however, the only "popular" scales are 1/2500 and 1/1000. Nothing else even shows up on the radar as a salable market.

1/1400 = 8 inches is beyond the range that the SL2500s could simply be blown up and would take expensive redesign work. Six inches is about as big as those things will push.

Anyway, i continue to look into it. !/2500 seems easily doable but I'm just not sure it's worth doing. We might try the Kirov and see, but I have other things to get beyond right now. After CapLog48 and Away Team Log and ACTASF1.2 and the 2500 relaunch and the Kickstarter thing are handled I'll look into it again.
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably buy some of the larger minis as single models but not as multiple playing pieces. I would be fine with resin if it was quality.

I would definitely buy smaller minis, half the size of 2400 if not smaller to use as playing pieces. Base coat and shade them then get them on the table and not get too wrapped up in a lot of detail.
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in character figurines, a captain for each empire.
justicar
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/2500 is what the 2500 line should have been to begin with, IMO. Everyone who buys 1/2500 would have absolutely loved to have your whole range.

1/1000 works great in resin. All of your models would have to be done as multi-part kits regardless, so that shouldn't be much of a concern. It's a reasonably standard scale, but they take a lot of space on the mantle.

1/1400 would be a good compromise. There's desire for it in the modeling community, but not a lot available (chicken and egg syndrome). It's small enough to be reasonable in price and not take up too much space, and big enough to get some good detail in it.

Please trust me on this. You cannot simply re-scale your existing CADs. They will look horrible, especially because the detail is already too exaggerated for 1/3125. At 1/1400 and 1/1000, you might consider leaving off most hull paneling and replacing it with full body decals.

You know I made one or 40 Trek-ish inspired ships. I have a pretty good handle on what people should be quoting you, so I'd be curious to hear your numbers. That's not me stumping for a job, and I don't expect you to share that info, just that I'm curious.

Steve Cole wrote:
I asked people about scale and it came down to three choices....

1/2500 is a fairly common scale with a lot of market wanting new designs, but that makes the 3.6 inch Fed CA only 4.67 inches and frankly that hardly seems worth the bother.

1/1000 is a fairly common scale for model kits, which isn't what we're talking about, but that would make the Fed CA about 12 inches long. The problem is that it would have to be totally done over to hollow it out and turn it into multiple pieces and I have my doubts about whether resin would work well.

Some other scale in the six inch range would (in my opinion) make the best model, but it means creating a totally new market as nobody really makes (and therefore nobody really collects) in that scale.

This page intentionally left blank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: