Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Y4 module

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucesim2003
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Y4 module Reply with quote

With the preview of C6 you have alternate histories which could be expanded on in another couple of modules. I was thinking that a Y4 module could give 2nd generation ships to the species of the Federation and the ISC, working on the theory that

1: They never formed, or if they did, it was much later.
or
2: They were formed, but by conquest by one species instead of political treaties.

The second module could be in the C category giving these species 3rd generation (general war) ships.

Just an idea.

Cheers

Bruce
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an idea, but I don't want to do too many alternative history modules.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually designing the ships is pretty trivial. If either the UFP or ISC failed to form, we already know what the member ships look like. Just advance them on to "Y" status (i.e. speed 24 engines instead of speed 16 engines) and you are pretty well good to go.

Not saying it wouldn't be fun to have all of those ships. Just saying that you can make the Y ships for your own benefit right now, and extrapolating the MY/GW era ships isn't that hard.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call it Y4. Might be some kind of SSJ3 thing.
brucesim2003
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is SSJ3?

Cheers

Bruce
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stellar Shadows Journal.

It was done in place of one of Captains Log. In that one alternate histories were given similar to C6 where the Carnivons an Paravians survived as raiders. They are basicly an excuse to publish non cannon material for fun. Thinks like Alternate histories or parts of the Reflection Universe that gets mentioned every now an again. Which by the way is what you are trying to drive as Y4.

If you kick around long enough on these forums you find it is really hard to come up with an original ideal that wasn't mention before at some point. So many good ideal and so little SVC time to go around.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
websunil007
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it. Smile

Holidays
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, this is an interesting idea. Star Trek has touched on the subject of mirror universe so its not impossible.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back at the OP's request, obviously, it could definitely be done, whether Y4 or SSJ3. And the ISC results might be pretty interesting, depending on the direction that is taken with it. However, the Federation probably wouldn't be that compelling.

The problem with the pre-unification Fed ships is that they are all armed with phasers and photons (except the Andorian drones). Any Y-era ships would just be obvious evolution of the W-era ships. With the exception of the Andorians, they would all be very similar, and not really offer much to differentiate them. (Yes, the Andorians would be different, but with an extremely weak weapon.) Any hypothetical GW-era ships would likely be even worse, as they would all learn from each other and would have nearly identical photon/phaser/drone armaments.

Then to make matters worse, all of these hypothetical ships would need to be inferior to the "real" war designs (at the least), or it will cause problems and raise all kinds of issues on why (some of) these ships are better than what "really" happened. There really isn't *that* much variance to what the designs could look like, resulting in very little differentiation in the designs.

The ISC, however, could be a lot more interesting since all of the pre-unification ships had different weapons. Improve them over time and you will end up with nicely differentiated ships that are still probably going to be worse than the unified ISC ships. That one could have some very interesting results. But, I don't know if the ISC command enough interest to justify that much development effort.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: