Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation Admiral
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really feasible in this case. I'd still end up doing the same work later.

I did four pages in three hours last Friday, but had to stop until I got questions answered. Getting them, I spent another hour over the weekend and asked more questions. Got the answers to those, and have to go rewrite and edit some stuff.

The four pages were full of good ideas and problematic execution. The start/end segments did not match, many of the 60 campaign objectives were awkwardly worded, and the whole strucure was badly explained (until I got the answers and added the explanation).

To do this takes a master editor, master page layout artist, and master game designer, and I'm the only one who is all three.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are four sample pages, the four pages done with six hours of SVC design time, to illustrate the amount of editing and rewriting and fixing needed.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/messages/12032/19865.html?1381178415#POST699805

As anyone who has worked with me knows, I never ever rewrite stuff just to fiddle with it. (I'm too lazy to do over anything that is already workable even if not the way I'd have done it.) But the original text was just seriously unclear.

Here is one example:
5) Information is Paramount: At the end of the year if our total Intel, CM required, we earn 3 VP. If we have more than double their amount, we earn 5 VP.

Jean and I puzzled for quite a while over what that meant. After several conversations with Jay, this is now:

(5) Information is Paramount: At the end of a cycle, if you have twice as many Intel Points as your opponent, you get five VPs. You can only score this one time, but it could be at the end of the first, second, or third cycle for the respective number of points (double, single, half).

Anyway, the finished "strategic objectives document" is a lot of fun to read and shows why I want to do Jay's book so much.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was bored, so did some proofreading. Laughing

1) For VPs, it's unclear how to handle fractional VPs in general. Some places explicitly tell you where to round or drop fractions, but other places don't. For example if you earn 5 VPs in the 3rd cycle, do you get 2, 2.5, or 3 VPs for that objective after halving?

Another example is the Monitors objective. Every three monitored
System Hexes grants two VPs
. Does 1 monitored hex give 0, 2/3, or 1 VP? Does 2 monitored hexes give 0, 1, or 4/3 VPs?

There are other places where it's unclear how to treat fractional VPs.

2) One of the objectives mentions a "cruiser sized" ship. It's not clear whether CAs or CLs count. Perhaps that section should refer to .75 or 1 Move Speed ships (whatever is the cutoff).

Now for some grammar edits:

1) 3rd paragraph, right side, 1st sentence: 1) 3rd paragraph, right side, 1st sentence: [i]This

edit: It looks like my message was cut off. There are a total of 8 grammar edits that didn't post.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please send any reports by email.

The wording is fairly precise. Double and half mean that. A specific "round" means round in that case, not all cases. Three X gets you two VPs means three X gets you two VPs; one or two X get you nothing.

"There are other places" doesn't help me much unless you list them.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, email sent to support@starfleetgames.com
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports go to design@starfleetgames.com not support.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this on the blog:

FEDERATION ADMIRAL, the long-awaited campaign manual, will be released this year. It is being structured to work with any of the four tactical games.

Good to see.

http://federationcommander.blogspot.ca/2014/01/2014-year-ahead.html
mdauben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul B wrote:
Saw this on the blog:

FEDERATION ADMIRAL, the long-awaited campaign manual, will be released this year. It is being structured to work with any of the four tactical games.

Ooooh! Me want! I love campaigns! Very Happy

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank."
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preview about Federation Admiral in the CL48 Supplement looked real interesting. This looks like it could almost be the operational game that has eluded every attempt at definition for years.

I'm wondering if the F&E combat system will be available as a separate "mini-product" or if it will be included in the Federation Admiral product? How will that work?

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXACTLY! The idea caught fire in the office when we finally fought our way to chapter 4 and discovered that this WAS the long awaited Module V.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how this will be marketed. I'm excited about it.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEDERATION ADMIRAL: A Preview
This future product, created by Jay Waschak, is intended to be a campaign system that will work with any of our tactical games (i.e., Star Fleet Battles, Federation Commander, A Call to Arms Star Fleet, Star Fleet Armada). Naturally, some of those tactical systems will allow you to do more things (e.g., SFB has minesweepers but none of the other games do, so only SFB could play out any scenario involving a minefield). You can also resolve battles using the F&E combat system or the F&E Small Scale Combat System.

4.2 Campaign Objective System
The Campaign Objective System provides you a list of goals to achieve. Completing these objectives earns Victory Points (VPs). The more difficult the objective, the more VPs will be awarded for its completion.
There are two different kinds of objectives for players.
First are the overall (strategic) objectives which represent operating orders from home and are general goals to be met during the next 12 Campaign Turns (or as soon as practicable).
Second are important orders that deal with specific (tactical) goals that must be completed in a certain manner within a described time frame.
In many cases, either will involving moving ships to specific places and then performing various die rolls and tasks, and/or keeping your ships in those locations for defined amounts of time.

Overview
With your assigned forces arrayed on a map of the sector, and your opponent (i.e., the enemy) sitting across the table with his own forces also arrayed on the map, you each roll dice (see below) to select two strategic goals. You spend 12 turns moving your units and spending your Economic Points (EPs) in ways you think will meet those goals and block your enemy from his goals and objectives.
The problem is, you don't know what his goals are and he doesn't know what your goals are. Study his moves wisely and try to ascertain what he's doing. If he moves ships into System Hexes and parks them there, this could give you a clue to his possible goals. Obviously, you want to conduct your operations in ways that confuse the enemy about just what your goal is. Also obviously, you will have to use some of your ships to meet your own goals while sending others to block his goals.
At the end of the 12th Campaign Turn, the first Campaign Cycle is over. At this point, you add up your score and roll for two new objectives. If you did not complete your objectives the first cycle, you can continue trying to meet the last cycle's goals for another 24 turns, but that will not produce as many points. Note that some missions (below) allow you to score points for multiple ships performing identical missions in different locations. For example, Strategic Objective #2/Operational Objective #5 is to conduct a "standard exploration" of certain systems. Depending on how many ships you have and how many systems there are, you may be able to score points by exploring more systems or by completing incomplete explorations of other systems.
It is up to you when you abandon attempts to complete a mission in order to use your resources to complete other missions. Carefully study which missions require this many resources and produce that many points.
Got it? Good, because that's not all. Every campaign turn you must roll to see if Fleet HQ has sent you a message with a further short-term goal. This goal will include directives, a time limit, and a number of points you might receive.
The scenario ends when the stated conditions apply. This might be a set number of VPs you earned (which include any VPs you spent for new ships or other purposes), a set number of turns, or some other condition.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really interesting!
mdauben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Preview, Steve! This definitly sounds like a "must buy" to me. Very Happy

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank."
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this cancelled?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: