Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Take Ownership

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goober99
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: How to Take Ownership Reply with quote

I have a gaming group that meets once a week. Federation & Empire will be our first game with rules this extensive. We usually play lighter fare like Euros (Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Alhambra, etc.)

We recently finished Risk Legacy, which is played out over a series of 15 games. We really liked the idea of a "campaign" and wanted another game that would provide campaign play. Two of the other members of the group and I also being huge Star Trek fans led us to pick F&E.

I've been reading (and re-reading) the rule book in hopes of teaching the rest of the group how to play tomorrow. Here's my question:

Quote:
(430.13) OWNERSHIP: A given province, planet, colony (446.3), colony base (446.5), or neutral zone hex can only produce income once during a turn, during the Economic Phase of the first empire to establish ownership during that turn. Exception: Orion Pirates (504.0).

From how I read (430.11) INCOME, you receive Economic Points based on the number of planets and provinces you have ownership of (please correct me if I'm wrong). How do you establish ownership of a planet or province?
Bill Stec
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, you have to have at least one warship in the planet's hex to garrison the planet, and another to garrison the province. Frigates and old, obsolete ships are favored for this duty, but some players like to use interesting garrison groups, like a K-F5S, F5V, E4A, etc.

Wow, you have really dove into the deep end, if you guys normally play Eurogames. Have you considered a learning game or two, like the 4 Powers War, or a sector of a larger scenario? I strongly suggest it. Very Happy

If you want to play a "campaign", be warned that few ever finish the "Grand Campaign", it takes so long. I haven't played in several years, but I think one of the smaller scenarios might be in order before you tackle the Grand Campaign.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ownership is already assumed in the initial moves.
You collect income from a planet / province that you own at the start of your turn...

Now the enemy can station a ship in the province or planet hex.
If you still have a ship / base / planet in that province, then this will count as a disrupted province (see 430.21)
If you no longer have a presence there, it counts as a captured province (see rule 430.22) and produces income for the enemy instead of the owner.

If you drive the enemy forces out of a captured province / planet - it immediately reverts to your control and produces income for you on the next income phase. (See rule 430.23)

On the second, subsequent turn of possession of a captured planet, the planet in treated as a conquered planet (see rule 508.22) and produces income 9at the devastated rate) for the enemy occupier... until he can un-devastate the planet. (508.25)

And to second Bill... what a jump from the typical Eurogame.
We've played and completed the Grand Campaign several times, but it usually takes the better part of a year and a half (with 6 to 7 of us playing) of at least one 10 hour Saturday a month and a lot of economic stuff (income, production, repair) and background stuff (retrograde movement, etc) being done through email between Saturday sessions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: