Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damage to Planets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpm
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Damage to Planets Reply with quote

I was looking for a rule about damage to planets in FC? Are there any and how much damage can a Class M planet take? Do the different weapons inflict different damages? I have FC Klingon Border with rev 4 of the rule book.
m1a1dat
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel safe in saying that you can not do a Death Star and blow up an entire planet. You can, however, devastate the surface and bomb them back to the stone age. There are some scenarios out there where this is the objective. I don't have any books with me right now, so i can't say any specifics (and they probably vary by scenario) but usually you have to do several hundred or more damage to a hexside to devastate it. In some cases you actually have to roll "to hit" the planet. Yes a planet takes up the whole hex and how can that photon torpedo possibly miss, but if it is a sparsely populated planet then that photon doesn't have much affect if it hits a a few thousand Km away from any population center. The different weapons would all have the same affect and just do their damage points to the planet.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't "kill" a planet (or a moon, or even a large asteroid). All you can do is cause damage to its surface. If it matters to the scenario, the scenario will list the amount of damage you need to cause to the planet's surface to fulfill the victory conditions. But you cannot blow up a planet, nor can you "sterilize" it. A planet is just too big and there is just too much stuff on the planet for a ship (or even an entire fleet) to have that big of an effect.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physically destroying a planet is outside of the rules. In Federation and Empire you can Deviastate a planet which is basically is doing your best to bomb it to a point that make a catagory 5 tornado or hurricane looks tame.

The Feds even managed to drop a Heavy Carrier aka Heavy Dreadnaught on Remus ticking off the Romulans for a couple of decides. The MacArthur despite killing millions of people when her reactors went off did not destroy the planet. The ecological and economic consequences were catastrophic but the planet did survive.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does depend on the scenario, but all of them I've seen where planet damage is a factor say something like 200 points of damage for each hexside of a planet is enough to devastate its surface.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, in a military scenario, it would ever make sense to destroy a planet a la Death Star, except perhaps for the reason they did that to Alderaan in the film. Alternatively, to blow up a planet which is only important because of the base on it - like the Yavin IV moon base in Star Wars A New Hope - but in a single shot, to a) save time and effort and b) as an example. A terror weapon, if you will. But apart from that....

In the SFU, military struggles are about possessions - cargo, resources, an area of space, a planet, a system, a station, a ship, some scientific information, whatever. You fight so that you have the thing the other guy wants and therefore he doesn't have it.

In our games, planets are often the 'real estate' that is being fought over. In most cases, the idea is to either possess the planet - for which you would also need to control the space around it - or you want to do something on/to the surface: destroy a base or other enemy presence; or rescue your own people/ship/relic/dilithium crystals or whatever.

In none of these cases does completely destroying the planet make sense; in the SFU it would be waste of energy, and therefore a waste of fuel, and in the end money. There's just no need.

That said, if ever we do get an empire in the SFU that holds to the same principles as the Galactic Empire from that galaxy a long time ago and far, far away, we might need that sort of weapon. Even if just to set an example.....
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about when you need to change the trajectory of the Nexus?
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then a Death Star is exactly what you need. Good catch, Andy Smile
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfff, in the SFU, we don't need no Death Star...we've got the Black Hole Gun!!! Shocked Wink

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
Then a Death Star is exactly what you need. Good catch, Andy Smile

Does it have Aegis, Tony?
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Smile (Everyone else: Private joke, there....)
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want mud it builds ships Twisted Evil
PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the DOOMS DAY machine was star treks answer for the Death Star.
the Planet killer should get an optional rule for planet destruction, I remember Commodore Decker indicating that the thing was hover over the planet carving out chunks with a beam of pure anti protons.

LOL
archon96
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remember that the episode with the doomsday weapon air years before star wars.
PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I do, I actually saw that episode while I was a kid and Startrek was in it's second season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: