Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FC Boosters #28, #29 and #30 cover art

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Preview Upcoming Cover Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: FC Boosters #28, #29 and #30 cover art Reply with quote

As posted at the online store:

HappyDaze
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the ISC booster will give some people the idea (or reinforce it) that the booms are the engines and that the ships are "backwards" since the other fleets are presented as flying towards the viewer. I know a few people that thought that after seeing the minis without seeing the SSD in SFB.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I dont think it will do either.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
No, I dont think it will do either.

I disagree; they really do look like they are flying backward.

Approach this from a universal SFU standpoint. In SFU warp engines tend to be in the back and they tend to look like cylinders just like the ISC ship's front. What are the little yellow engine ports look an awful lot like what other ships weapon ports look like (compare the andro and isc pics above).

Combine this with the fact that the other boosters show flying towards the camera and I suspect anyone that doesn't know the ISC will think they point the other way around.

The only thing that counters this point of view is that the ISC cylinders have windows. A detail one may not notice unless they are looking closely. Short of that, and short of seeing an SSD, there is no reason to think the ISC fly the direction they do.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it does look like the engines are the "fingers"

Maybe it's supposed to be disquised that way to trick empires that have never encountered the ISC Wink
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't picture that ship as flying backwards, sorry.

But then, I originally got into the SFU via Starfleet Command back in the day, so I had to get used to how the ISC ships look here, as opposed to they way they do in that series of games...
toastie
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyDaze wrote:
I wonder if the ISC booster will give some people the idea (or reinforce it) that the booms are the engines and that the ships are "backwards" since the other fleets are presented as flying towards the viewer. I know a few people that thought that after seeing the minis without seeing the SSD in SFB.

Gah! Now that you say it, they do look backwards. Sort of like those optical illusions that you don't see until someone points it out. What has been seen cannot be unseen!
Sentinal
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once they open the package and actually see the card layout, either with the booster or with War and Peace, they'll know which end is the front and which is the back.
Sentinal
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance in getting to see what the Vudar booster looks like anytime soon?
(The one on the Alerts page doesn't look too clean)
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you young'uns that weren't there, a lot of players used to fly ISC ships backwards in SFB. Look at the weapon array, then at the shields. It was plasma F's launched followed by phaser fire on the next one or two impulses. Then you got your rear shield shreaded as they passed by because the forward firing phaser suite (now used as rear firing) followed up. As soon as the ISC were at viable range, they opened up with their heavy weapons; all this on a weak rear shield. Your ship ceased to function at this point in the game.

Ah, memories!

Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the hell closes like that during a battle, flying straight at your opponent, the worst tactic (except maybe Hydrans), sounds like they spent a lot of time fighting newbies ---

Perfect tactic for suicide against Andromedans also ---
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying backwards? For all we know, the ISC ships could be under reverse thrust to hold the range open for just one more impulse so that the PPDs can get in just one more volley. Granted, the yellow glow from the engine ports might be taken for windows by thos unfamiliar with ISC ships. A result, I guess, of unconventional design, though I have always found the look of ISC ships appealing.

Whatever one thinks of the cover, I am going to be very glad to have these cards. There simply aren't enough ISC ships.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe his comments related to the picture on the booster, mine didn't ----
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Preview Upcoming Cover Art All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: