Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F&E: Early Years?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: F&E: Early Years? Reply with quote

So, with the release of SFB EY III, I was wondering if anyone had thought/spoke/announce/denied/etc a F&E Early Years Expansion?

I figure it would be *HUGE* given the number of new counters that would be required.

Heck, given the size of the F&E hexes, would it even be possible to play it on the existing map?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SFU_FEAR
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a variant of F&E that several people play right now, called Early Beginnings. Think F&E meets Civilization. You start with a capital system, limited income and tech and expand from there. There are several versions of this from a double blind game where you don't even know who your opponent is, to one where the Andros invade.

For more information see the PDFs available for download at:

http://web.me.com/krager/Project_EB/Welcome.html
kinshi
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, now that is cool.
Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are talking about 'Module Y' type Early years, it could be simulated by not using carriers and such units, relying on just the 'basic' hulls in effect. You wouldn't have to change the values for the most part due to the fact that everything's combat value is decreased by about the same amount.

The biggest issue would be supply. The history articles say that many times wars were limited by the fact that it was very difficult to supply deep incursions into enemy territory. Maybe reduce the range of supply chains from 6 hexes down to 4 or even 3, and don't allow some of the techniques that can be used to extend them beyond building bases. Also, bases would be harder to build in that era, if I am remembering things right.

That said, there have been a few times in the recent past that my rememberences have been slapped down by SVC, so don't take my word for it too closely.

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
SFU_FEAR
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four Power's War (607.0) represents conflict in Y157, 11 years before the General War in Y168. This only had a supply range of four hexes for the combatants.

So, something in the "early years" should be less than four hexes. Maybe try playtesting using three hexes and see how that works.

In our Early Beginnings play, players start at a supply range of two and a speed of two and spend Economic Points on upgrades to both over time until both range and speed are six.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: