Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captain's game repair rules
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For myself it is just a level of detail I have no interest in, who wants to track damage on shuttles between battles? I want to play games of starships blowing each other up, not OrionSoft's 'logistics manager Y183, premium edition'.
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
OrionSoft's 'logistics manager Y183, premium edition'.
Laughing like that

No problem but what about BP's. I'm ok eiether way
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another thread a couple years ago, I posted some ideas for a simple campaign. One item was that ships could finish out any repairs ongoing during the last turn of the battle. They would then have three turns worth of repairs "between battles". Any damage still left over had to be recorded for the next time that ship goes into battle, for it must start with those systems marked off and may NOT repair them during the battle. If the ship survives and can repair all new damage, it can then start repairing the old damage (if able).

I don't know if anyone has ever play-tested that idea.

Garth L. Getgen

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
mike_espo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
For myself it is just a level of detail I have no interest in, who wants to track damage on shuttles between battles? I want to play games of starships blowing each other up, not OrionSoft's 'logistics manager Y183, premium edition'.

To each his own.....
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my campaign i made it so you take 10 damage at the beginning of a scenario for each frame hit you have received, if you were crippled you take 50% damage. You then get 5 turns of repair to fix a few systems. The reason we did it this way was because with dry erase you tend to lose your records, you can't repair frame during a scenario and even if you repair after you have been crippled you can record you were crippled
mike_espo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
Our current campaign system has been tweaked a couple of times and may still be based on how we feel it is working in practise.

But basically the current guise is:

Ships perform DC as normal during a battle.

At the end of the battle a ship checks whether 4 turns of DC could fully repair it (but doesn't actually do any repair).

- If they could fully repair then the ship is considered to be only very lightly damaged with no long term effects that the DC teams can't fully repair with on hand spare parts etc. For campaign purposes it is undamaged.

- If they coudln't then they have taken sufficient damage to be considered damaged for the purpose of the camapign, and will suffer damage at the start of future battles (unless proper base repairs are performed).

-- The damaged ships simply counts the number of disabled boxes and divides by the DC rating. That is the amount of damage it suffers at the start of subsequent battles (rolled for on the DAC each battle).

-- Exception, if the ship ended cripppled it will suffer DC * 10 in damage in subsequent battles.

Whilst simplistic, and with a few likely quirks, it meets a some key criteria:

1) really minor damage (e.g. a few burnthrough) has no campaign conequence, so you don't start worrying about taking a few minor points of damage.

2) There is no need to track actual damaged systems, the ships is just recorded as CA(5) or CA(crip).

3) Crippled is seriously bad where as 'damaged' is still very bearable.

4) The new roll on the DAC keeps things interesting as you can't be sure which systems will hold out as you go to battle stations as power conduits overload etc. roll a 3 and phew the coffee vending machine blew a fuse, roll a 1 and aargghh. This reflects the DC teams thinking everything is functional but between sticky tape and cannabilising you need to cross your fingers a bit.

Generally speaking damaged (as opposed to crippled) ships will be looking at 5-10 damage irrespective of size. So larger ships tend to be reasonably robust whereas smaller ships tend to be more fragile in the face of continous operations without proper repair.

The damage rating cannot be erased by repairing yourself during a battle, your damage rating stays with you until you are sent for proper repair. However, the damage rating is addiditive, you perform the same calculation at the end of each battle and add any damage rating to what you already had. That means that you really do not want to plan on fighting in a damaged state more than once or twice.

I shoud add that our campaign system is designed to be abstract and fairly light, and concentrates on playing FC rather than playing a campaign system with some FC thrown in.

PS if you want more info on our campign then look at the storeylf vs targ thread (currently right next to this one).

Nice system. Will try this in my Captain's campaign. Very Happy

I assume that after rolling on the DAC, that those systems can be repaired during the scenario?
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is just damage and is repaired during battle as normal - 'the sticky tape came off, find some more and get that phaser stuck back on'

Repairing yourself doesn't however clear your campaign damage rating, if you came in with a damage rating if 5 you will still have at least in future battles, until you go to base for repair. If you end the battle damaged you calculate your damage rating for that battle and add it on to the previous rating. So if you come into a battle with a rating of 5 (taking 5 damage up front), and at the end of the battle you have taken more damage and following the calculation find your rating for this battle is 7, you add that to your 5 and have 12, so in future battles you take 12 damage at the start of a game.

Hence constantly fighting damaged will wear down a ship, it starts of as a smallish disadvantage (variable depending on the DAC roll), but constantly fighting without repair is really not a good idea.
mike_espo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked I would think that the ship in question would go from a 5 to a 7. Not a 12!
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats is what we had originally, but it does mean that many damaged ships will never see their damage rating increase, so there is no real penalty to constantly reusing a damaged ship. Personally I would prefer that a ship that was damaged to start with and took another hammering should be even worse in the next fight. Hence the additive ratings, it forces you to get the ship back to repair yards and see damaged ships as a temporary stop gap.

As I noted we are still tinkering with things based on what is happening in practise and may yet change things again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: