Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plans for PDF ship packs on e23.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one idea for the Feds that doesn't quite add a new class (but kinda does, but kinda doesn't...) is the police frigate. The PFF is the same point-value as the FFG, but different enough to be interesting. It also doesn't have any BoM stuff like special sensors, barracks, etc.

Paul's spiffy kitbash mini has had me thinking about this ship.
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looking at the MSC, I see the BCP, DDF, OCA, and DWD, so we'd need to pick eight entirely new Fed variants for that pack. Suggestions?

A shotgun of ideas was thrown out in response to this, but maybe the more direct answer to Steve's question would be to indicate what eight new Fed ships would you like most to fill out the first "not yet laminated" PDF ship pack.

I cannot offer any specific suggestions as I am not an ex-SFB guy, but I thought it might be helpful to bring focus back to the immediate need.

The BCP and OCA already have counters. So, I like Steve's choice of those two Captain's Log ships for inclusion in the first of these forthcoming packs.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDauphinais wrote:
I cannot offer any specific suggestions as I am not an ex-SFB guy, but I thought it might be helpful to bring focus back to the immediate need.

I did. Let me quote myself:
mjwest wrote:
Extra published ships: BCP, OCA, CLC, LTT, DWD. That is five more ships that already exist, but have never been laminated.
Available ships: CLH, FFD, FFL, NAL. That's another four ships that don't add any new classes (e.g. CB), support ships (e.g. troop), or BoM (e.g. GSC).

In addition to the above, the PFF is a decent choice, as the Lyran MP gives precedent for the class. So, it really wouldn't be "new". I suppose we could throw in the FBD, too.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's up to a vote but I will say the getting the BCP and OCA in color would be a major selling point for me (full-disclosure: I'm ridiculously biased about the oCA, due to the mini).

One of the reasons I nominated the PFF was to try and find something to put in between the Pol and FFG from a point-value standpoint. That didn't work, as both the PFF and FFG are 75 BPV, but there must be something out there that would fit (and be worth having, which the obvious things like the original FF would not be). I like small ships as consorts and I like variety in point-costs to fill holes in squadrons, rather than take victory points (or hand them to the other guy).

I'll also opt-out on nominating SFB variants. There's a lot of them and my ignorance would show. Most of the ones I am readily familiar with (without cracking the R modules) have already been tapped.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a pack that had all the PFFs, and the Lyran POL. I might just buy a pack that had all of those fed variants if it included the PFF and the OCL, and the BCP.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Steve has already smacked down the idea of a class-based PDF pack. They need to be empire-based.

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... no boosters 93-95 Crying or Very sad

what about Omegas and Early years? Are they still possibilities?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
So... no boosters 93-95 Crying or Very sad

Don't know that. Their status is very much in flux.

However, I was talking about PDF packs. Boosters are a completely different issue and operate by different rules. It is the PDF packs that appear to need to be empire-based. Boosters use different rules for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
what about Omegas and Early years? Are they still possibilities?

They are always possibilities, but what their odds are is an open question. From what I can see, all of this stuff is in flux and ADB is trying to figure out what will work best and what is the best way to do this stuff. At the end of the day, the only way for ADB to find out what works is to try it. Then, sales determine what works. It is a slow process, but it is what it is. Until ADB finds the "winning formula", I don't think anyone can promise anything for Omega, Early Years, PDF packs, "90-style" Boosters, or Briefings.

All I can council is patience. Steve is but one guy, and he can only take things one at a time. Federation Commander is extremely important to him, but he has to take care of all of the SFU, not just Federation Commander. Plus, once something is tried, you have to wait for the results. This stuff just takes time to work through, and because of that it is extremely hard to predict anything or promise anything.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack E is now on e23.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we not worry about BoM yet? I'd like to just find 12 new Fed, or Klingon, or Romulan, ships we can publish.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not, at this time, see B93, B94, and B95 as PDF things. I want to do them as laminated cards, but until we abandon that idea as unworkable, I cannot canibalize those ships for packs.

This is not the place to discuss B93, B94, and B95, but i can say this, if B91 and B92 had not lost money, we'd have already done B93, B94, and B95.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Could we not worry about BoM yet? I'd like to just find 12 new Fed, or Klingon, or Romulan, ships we can publish.

Here are 12 new, non-laminated Federation ships that can easily be used:
BCP, CB, NAL, OCA, CLC, LTT, CLH, DWD, FBD, FFD, FFL, PFF.

This does add in the "heavy command cruiser" class, but it is inevitable that this class will be introduced, so why not?

Any Klingon and Romulan suggestions from me will have to wait until tonight. Quite frankly, the Romulans are extremely easy and extremely difficult. They are easy because there are so many candidates to choose from. They are difficult because the decision on the next Attack product has yet to be made. If you select to do a Gorn or ISC Attack, then some of the most promising Romulans (e.g. K7R, KDR, Vulture, Demonhawk) should be reserved for it. Until we know what the Attack product is, suggesting Romulans is challenging.

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have 91. I love it. I plan on getting 92 soon. And I'd buy the others no matter what they come out as.
Shinanygnz
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Here are 12 new, non-laminated Federation ships that can easily be used:
BCP, CB, NAL, OCA, CLC, LTT, CLH, DWD, FBD, FFD, FFL, PFF.

This does add in the "heavy command cruiser" class, but it is inevitable that this class will be introduced, so why not?

Doesn't have to be inevitable. Steve just doesn't do them Very Happy

Not a bad list. However, I'm not fussed about so many drone armed variants as I like my Feds with photons. I'd like to see the DDF in there instead of one of them.

Is Andromedan (or ISC) Attack on the cards (pun intended)? If not, an Andro pack would be nice for stuff like the Dominatrix ( what a name for a ship Wink ) and the other DOM/INT/COQ non-BoM variants plus the Viper.

Stephen
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinanygnz wrote:
[The CB d]oesn't have to be inevitable. Steve just doesn't do them Very Happy

If enough people keep asking for the CBs, they will be done.

Quote:
Not a bad list. However, I'm not fussed about so many drone armed variants as I like my Feds with photons. I'd like to see the DDF in there instead of one of them.

Can't do the DDF. None of the DD variants can be done, as there are licensing restrictions around them. (If those restrictions weren't there, the DDG would have been in Klingon Border!) That is why I didn't include the DDF and the DD.

Quote:
Is Andromedan (or ISC) Attack on the cards (pun intended)? If not, an Andro pack would be nice for stuff like the Dominatrix ( what a name for a ship Wink ) and the other DOM/INT/COQ non-BoM variants plus the Viper.

Yes, an Andro pack would be cool and fun. I always like the Exploder, uh, Exploiter, myself. But, like the Romulans, the next Attack module will determine the ships available. But doing the wazoo Andro designs would be a fun PDF pack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: