Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation & Empire vs. Twilight Imperium
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godeke
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I chuckled a bit at the "6 hours = long time" comment, but really couldn't come up with the words to put F&E into perspective.
EnochRoot
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played TI3 via PBEM (or PF [Play by Forum]) at http://www.ti3wiki.org/index.php?title=Main_Page. I even GM'd a game using the forums on the wiki and the game details on my site, http://ti3.enochsplace.com.

TI3 is a good game. It plays like a typical 4x computer game (Master of Orion, Galactic Civilizations I and II, etc.). However, it is not a wargame. That fact can't be stressed enough. If you focus solely on fighting, you will lose to players who are focused on the VP goals. I like TI3 because it combines diplomacy, trade, and combat into a relatively quick-playing package.

I'm more of a wargamer though, so I recently purchased F&E because I wanted a strategic level space wargame. From what I've seen so far, it looks like it fits that bill.

Last edited by EnochRoot on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played F&E, not TI. But I've seen TI in action, and I can say They both suffer from the fiddly bits syndrome and The Set Up grind. I never could get past hunting for the peices. So, I started playing F&E online via vassal. Lot easier to setup a game. Smile
Tophat
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sweeper let me know if you need another player in a vassal game. I'm just getting back into F&E but I have a 1986 addition. Going to buy the 2010 rulebook on e23 and go from there.

I also have TI....it's been in a box in my closet unplayed for over 5 yrs. Time and real life getting in the way of good gaming. Confused
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilight Imperium makes me angry... as I've described in great detail here and here.

In a nutshell: the euro elements of the game overwhelm the violent ameri-trashy elements... to the point of making it into a 6 hour version of Puerto Rico.
SYKOJAK
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played numerous games of Twilight Imperium and I can safely say its more
Like a regular boardgame than Hardcore Wargame sim. That is what F&E is, a hard-
Core wargame sim.

It takes roughly 4 to 6 hours to play a game of TI. F&E Turns can take hours each.
Bill Stec
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godeke wrote:
Yes, I chuckled a bit at the "6 hours = long time" comment, but really couldn't come up with the words to put F&E into perspective.

Heck, I've played starbase assaults or capital assaults that go longer than 6 hours. Very Happy
pinbot
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requete wrote:
2. It is an Empire Builder, not a Wargame.
3. Conflict seems rare and optional; it is easy to "turtle" and build an impenetrable empire.

2--It's not really either. You need victory points. Some can come from buildup but most (especially if you use only objectives from the 1st expansion) will come from conflict situations.
3--You can certainly turtle, but a turtle will never win against even semi-competent opponents. The points are out there to be seized. Defensive minded players usually lose their first game badly. They'll have almost all their plastic out and maybe 1 or 2 victory points when somebody else wins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: