Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed Comm/SFU Ground wars??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domingojs23 wrote:
Dear Friends,

I posted this in the Steve Jackson Games section, but anyway: why not use OGRE as the ground rules solution for the SFU ? I'm sure many SFB / FC players from the 80's also indulged in the game. Ogre, with its simplicity and diversity of units, would be a good fit with SFB/FC, and would not be too hard to somehow mesh with Star Fleet Assault.

Cheers !

Gary

Two big problems that I see (well three, actually)
1: Ogre is currently out of print. While it's a great system and I play it every chance get - it would be unfair to expect new-comers to FedComm to pay the exhorbitant prices often found on ebay to obtain a copy of Ogre.
2: The units in Ogre do not correspond to the established background unit present in the SFU. Sure - you could probably design equivalent units using the Ogre rules, but if you're goign to that much trouble designing something from scratch - why not design your own system?
SFA is intended to mesh with FedComm and PD as far as time scales go... allowing you to play the approach to the planet in Fed Comm... the assault in SFA to insert the Prime Team... and then use PD to play out the receovery of the top secret data... fo example. Since time scales mesh, you can continue the FedComm or SFA games on different tables on a turn-for-turn basis.
Ogre will not allow that flexibility.
3: ADB does not own the rights to Ogre - but they will to SFA.
I'm sure there would be somekind of legal maneuvering required to enable SJG to produce an SFU version of Ogre.
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Scoutdad,

Well, I can see how it would take a bit of work in getting Ogre to synch with SFB/FC.

However, please do take note that the Sixth Edition of Ogre is in finalization, and that there is a free lite edition of the Ogre miniature rules available. Also, with the success of the Starmada-SFU collaboration, and given that this forum does have a SJ Games board, a joint venture is not without precedent !

Cheers !

Gary
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check your original post on this issue stephen cole (the games creator) redponded to you.
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in which ever way it happens when it happens.
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Savedfromwhat,

Thanks ! And in Steve's post he said that there could be a Fall 2010 release of Starfleet Marines: Assault.

OOOO-RAHHH !!!

Gary
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, we aren't going to use or convert Ogre. It's a great game, but SFM/A works better for our purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: