Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Few More Finished Minis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: A Few More Finished Minis Reply with quote

As mentioned in another thread, I've got a few things on the bench.

In the same way that my Feds started with a Heavy Cruiser, War Cruiser, Destroyer and one-off ship, here are my first targets, er, non-Federation minis to go join the ranks of finished SFU minis I have.

An E5 Battle Corvette. A very small ship built from leftover parts. Never under full production, but I think it's cool since it's essentially cobbled together.

An F5W War Destroyer. What the F5 should have been. A real destroyer, not a frigate trying to compete above its class.

A D5 War Cruiser. I really like this mini. Gotta space for more in the budget.

And of course, a D6 Heavy Cruiser. The backbone of the Klingon Deep Space Fleet. Spartan according to Captain Koloth, not carrying "non-essentials" unlike the "garbage scow" [acc to Korax] Constitution class. Can't go wrong with these.

Overall, I'm happy, but I think my window technique needs to improve a bit. And I'm going to try using white instead of yellow too. The blue paint I use for these is tough. The spray is one color and the pot is brighter, so I have to stir it really well and then dilute it with some black for touch ups. I didn't have this trouble with the gray I use for Feds.

My camera seems to be having a harder time focusing on Klingons too! I thought only Romulans had masking devices back in this time! Shocked It might be the darker paint than the Feds though, so I might need to use the flash or get more lighting around my photo area.

One question about the F5/F5W model: the F5W has these two small protrusions on the wings, that I believe are phaser-3s. If I filed those off, would I have the standard F5 frigate?

And a few more Feds (can't get enough of my conversions).

An Advanced Missle Destroyer. The USS (General John) Buford. This one has a slightly different construction than my older DDX, the USS Alliance. Here they are together. I'm happy with both, but like the Alliance better.

A custom built NCL, the USS Kiev. This one I can't claim credit for. Rick Smith made one of these late last year, and I loved the design so much, I had to make one too (it's the Popmey Class Destroyer that you can find floating around). I one of the "1st generation" sets of nacelles from my Heavy Command Cruiser on this, so I figured I'd paint it up in the two tone scheme of my CB and take pictures of them together.

A Command Light Cruiser. The USS Paladin. I got the idea for this one from the novel Recovery by JM Dillard. It's set between the time of TOS and TMP, and our favorite newly promoted former starship captain makes a comment that he needed "The Big E" when instead he has temporary command of the USS Paladin (class not given in the novel).

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page

Last edited by OGOPTIMUS on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those look great i assume those are the old style Fed NCA's they look outstanding (BTW we use a very similar color for klingons, panzer gray?)
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG -

great job on those. Another guy who likes his Klingons in black (I don't, but one of my opponents does all his in primer-black).

The F-5 mini is made to work as either a stock F-5, or as the F-5W. The two rectangular "protuberences" you circled are the (hull-mounted) disruptors of the F-5.

The mini also has the F-5W's engine-mounted disruptors.

The buyer has the option to either paint over the unneeded ones or file-them off if they are picky (much as on the Gorn CM/HDD's center phaser mound).

The F-5W has some other differences (at least according to the art in the SFB module), but nothing that makes the mini not work for both.
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, OG!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the windows effects you have done.
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Pompey Class looks great OG! Nice work all around!

UPFY
The Master
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Very Happy
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

NICE ONE MATE
Sentinal
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG

Just three letters:

O.M.G.

Beautiful work - Excellent
Sentinal
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I recognize some of those ships... or rather the detail paint jobs.

Still beatiful work Herr Kaptain Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: