Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two More in the Mix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Two More in the Mix Reply with quote

Here's some of my latest work:

A Federation Kirov Class Heavy Battlecruiser, with extra drones, the USS New Zealand Set 1 and Set 2.

I used the CC Saucer here for several reasons. First, because it's nice, second, because I'm borrowing the saucer for another mini, and third/fourth, it differentiates it nicely from my BCJ, since the neck isn't there and I like drones as hatches on the hull, like a sub launching missiles versus torpedoes.

Here’s a pic of all three of my Heavy Battlecruisers. From left to right, the BCG New Zealand, kitbahsed BCF Nikolai V. Orarkov, and BCJ New Jersey.

And, my latest prize………a Federation Heavy Command Cruiser, the USS Coral Sea.
Montage A
Montage B
Montage C

I based this one off of a model made as a MOD for SFC1, 2, and OP, as well as Bridge Commander that I found later in 2007. I loved it instantly, and decided to make a mini out of it, again almost instantly (took a while to get it right, see below). The model was made by a gentleman named Rod Oneal. If you play these games still, I’d highly suggest getting this MOD—it’s fantastic! Check out the pics of the MOD here and here.

Here’s a copy of Rod’s blurb as to why he made this particular model:

This design is based off the conjecture that the refit seen in “Star Trek the Motion Picture” was too dramatic to have been a single design upgrade. In Starfleet Battles there is an interim refit between the Command Cruiser (the last refit of the Enterprise before TMP) and the 1st generation X ships (generally accepted as the TMP refit), the CB or heavy command cruiser. The command cruiser U.S.S. Vincennes received this refit before receiving the X refit, where as the Enterprise did not. It went directly to the X-cruiser design. Often there wasn’t enough time to get to every vessel before another upgrade came along. This is my interpretation of what that class might have looked like.

The nacelles were somewhat tricky—I went through them many times. In fact, the ones on the ship currently are the third iteration of them. I got the ends easily enough, just some tubing cut at an angle with some plastic card added for fins. The real trouble to get right were the TMP-style cutouts on the sides. The first nacelles just used plastic tubing sanded flat on the sides, but I overdid it and made the sides too flat to really match the original mini. So I scrapped them after I put the mini together and didn’t like them. They’re on a FASA Loknar that I got without engines now and that will be used as a Command Light Cruiser (pics to follow sometime in the future).

The second set also just had filed down tubing as nacelles, but this time I didn’t make the indents as deep. These made it onto the mini and got painted before I scrapped them for the current ones. These are on the bench awaiting some new project (perhaps something like Rick Smith’s Shanks Class NCL), once I order more plastic Tug saucers from ADB…(I think I’ve gone through about 15 now…Cool). The third and current incarnation of the nacelles is actually that same plastic tubing with the sides cut out of it. The black/blue surface is actually the same tube as the narrower end of the nacelle, just lengthened inside. I think this one came out the best, and closest to Rod’s model.

I wasn’t initially a fan of the “two-tone” paint scheme that I see kicked around online for TMP ships, but as I began painting this one, it just seemed that I had too use it--Rod’s model was way too nice for me not to! I’m really happy with how this one came out finally, and I hope you all enjoy it too.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work on the conversion of the USS Coral Sea. Good research and inspiration
+ attention to detail = great modeling success! The "in between" ship configuration
makes complete sense. And adding the two-tone color scheme (you beat me to it -
the Shanks was gonna get that treatment! haha!) ties your whole theme together.

Superb work. Can't wait to see more!

UPFY
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Very clean detail painting.

I did the same thing for my BC's, but I added a small blockhouse to the neck with plastic sheet (there is a photo of these somewhere in a post that I can't seem to find anymore).
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will, go to your profile...
click "find all posts by..."
then scroll through until you find a post in the correct thread...

That will let you post a reply or a link. Either one will open it back up for new-comers to see.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, *if* I could remember what thread... lots of posts to wade through and I think I posted that pic as a reply in someone else's thread.
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer - Crying or Very sad

Add a link to the photo here for comparisions...
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did that awesome saucer come from?
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I forgot to ask about that. Rad saucer?

UPFY
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's from a Furuta (Japanese company) model refit Enterprise. They made a full range of miniatures from all series ranging from TOS to Voyager and some from Enterprise, I think. The range even includes a bust of Mr. Spock included for some reason.

I got a few off of eBay about 2 years ago, and at the time I didn't have any FASA 1701A's to use, so I stripped the paint off of it using simple green for a week, and then used the saucer and hull for this mini.

Just do a google image search for 'furuta enterprise' and you'll see it (should be the first three pics).

OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of the link to Will's BC that I was able to dig out:

http://mysite.verizon.net/djdood/fed-bc_new-saucer.jpg

Hope I'm not stealing your thunder Will.

djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steal away. That's the pic I was looking for anyways.

Those are Fed-BC minis, with Fed CC saucers (the new computer-modeled and grown one's), with the BC's neck-box added from plastic scrap.

I later went back and added the extra two phaser bumps under the saucers with epoxy.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, impressive work. Especially on the kitbashes.

OGOPTIMUS you do have an eye for detail. Makes me want to go slap my paint brush. Very Happy
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work guys! Makes me want to go make up a BCV out of the BC and CVF I've still got in the packs.

Actually I'll just end up swapping saucers between them I imagine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: